Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Hero!


Okay. I am a proud Mama. Today my son reminded me how good it feels to help people.

He is an extraordinary six-year-old who loves his Power Rangers, Leapster, bike and helping others. He has a very good soul.

Today his classmate's backpack and lunch sack were taken. How bad is that when a first grader - yes a first grader - is made to feel this kind of violation.

I stress when I can't find my keys or have lost my purse or license. I FREAKS me out. And I am 28+2.

So anyway... I pick Chase up from school, not knowing all this drama had taken place earlier in the day. We turn down our normal path home and I see a lunch box scattered on the sidewalk and make a comment about "oh someone dropped their lunch pail."

Chase yells at me to stop the car and turn around. It is friend's bag. He was insistent. I asked him if he was sure and he told me the story. I was un-nerved. Who would do this?

Chase jumped out of the car once I made it back to the "scene of the crime" and picked up the sandwich, cheese crackers and other goodies. In the bag has his friend's name handwritten in that first grader scrawl.

My heart was filled with pride as he climbed back into the car. We looked for the backpack but that was no where for us to find. We dropped off the Cars bag to his mother and she called her husband and son to say the lunch bag was found.

Chase's teacher called to see where the bag was found. We missed that called. She was audibly upset too that a student's personal belongings had been violated. So I will talk to her in the morning when I drop my little hero off in the morning.

No comments: