Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Pink October

Breast Cancer.
Two words that will scare anyone.

My best friend from high school called me Friday to tell me that our other best friend had been diagnosed earlier in the day.

What?!
This can't be right. What?!
Okay I need to write this down. When? How bad?
What?!
No. This is a bad dream. This isn't happening.
No! She's only 30. It's not fair.


These were my thoughts. I wasn't even going through it. But I have been touched by the disease. My maternal grandmother died from "it". I didn't get to know her. That was 29 years ago.

My "Grandmama" found a lump. Luckily it was benign.

A friend of my mothers died from the fast moving diagnosis several years ago. She had two daughters, was a health nut and one of the sweetest people you could meet.

Now my best friend to going through it.

Because it is in my family, it is always in the back of my brain.

On the fifth, my friend has surgery. They have decided to take her lymph nodes too and see if the Stage II cancer has spread. From there they will decided what is next. She is surrounded by loved ones and prayers.

I love you sweetie. I am thinking of you more than you know.

So this year October means more to me than ever. We need to find a cure. I know everyday people are surviving and science is getting closer. If you don't know how to help or want to help, I have posted to the right the local charity Pink October and their events. You will see me out there! Say hey.

Also, I was asked to shoot the Pink October calendar with Lodi's survivors and local firefighters. Thank you Capt. Mike Gold for asking me to do this. It means a lot to me. As soon as it comes out I will post a link how to get your copy of the project.

No comments: